Monday, August 29, 2005

Post-Game Preseason 3: Patriots 27 @ Green Bay 3

New England 27, Green Bay 3

I hate games like these: Patriot blowouts, but only in the preseason. They just don't fit into the plan. They're the kinds of games that "serve notice" that the Patriots are ready. They make it look easy. They're absolutely detrimental to this team's persona.

That's why I loved Bill Belichick's pre-third quarter answer to WCVB's Mike Lynch's question: "20-3, you must be pretty pleased so far." Belichick: "Well, we made about 15 penalties in the first half, and that's not good."

Then Lynch said something nonsensical like, "Were you surprised when Flutie went in the game?" To which Belichick replied. "What?"

Anyway, what I want to see in the preseason is losing games to season non-opponents by 3 to 10 points, and losses to season opponents by at least 17. The only good that can come out of Friday's game was that it was to a non-opponent on the regular season schedule. It would be a shame should the Elvisheads and Cheeseheads meet in Super Bowl XXIX and guys like Lynch bring up how easy it was to beat Green Bay at Lambeau Field during preseason week three.

Fortunately, so far, of their three preseason games, the Pats only loss is to New Orleans, who New England will face in Gillette Stadium on Nov. 20. The Saints might be playing a lot of games on the road depending how Hurricane Katrina turns out in the next 12 hours.

Back to Friday's game. I actually missed the first 10 minutes after watching The Simpsons on Fox 25 and having the Pittsburgh-Washington game start immediately. I had been thinking the Pats were on the following night. Then I see the score crawl at the bottom of the screen. New England 10, Green Bay 0.

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGH!

Evidently, all I missed was Corey Dillon running roughshod over the Packers, to the left, to the right, up the middle.

What I saw was encouraging: Ahman Green, Tony Fisher and Najeh Davenport combining on 22 carries for 60 yards (2.73 yards per carry) and Green Bay totaling 96 yards on the ground. Far cry from the last two performances by the D Line and linebackers. Of course, the Patriots had the guys that are going to play together that they're going to depend on out on the field, unlike the first two performances.

I really hate to read any good into it. I'd rather take a Belichick-ish "Well, we let each one of them reel off a 7- or 8-yarder on us, so that isn't too good" view.

But it's really hard when you outscore a team 27-3, keep them under 200 yards (199), commit a modest 6 penalties for 40 yards (not exactly sure where Belichick got the "15 in the first half" stat), allow only 38 percent success on third down, to really find a lot to complain about.

OK, I'll give you one: Time of Possession. New England 29:32 , Green Bay, 30:28.

Devastating.

OK, I'll give you another one: When Tyrone Poole "allowed" a punt to bounce off his back and Green Bay recovered the ball inside the Patriot 10. I guarantee that won't happen the rest of the season -- certainly not to Poole.

Other notes: I think Doug Flutie is currently your No. 2 quarterback. I think you've seen the last of Rohan Davey (1 completion, 3 passes, 2 yards, 42.4 passer rating) in a Patriots uniform. While I've heard several people comment that wide receiver David Terrell is on the bubble, I propose that Troy Brown may be as well, much as I'd hate to see it. Tim Dwight has been looking good -- just needs to stay healthy. Rodney Harrison's hit on Antonio Chatman was scary. I know Harrison doesn't mean to hurt players as much as he simply wants to punish them, but I felt bad for both guys on that one. Chad Brown finally had a good game. Logan Mankins. I don't even have to make a point here. He IS the point. Just have to say his name and shake your head and smile. Logan Mankins. Logan Mankins. They're going to end up naming an airport or something after that guy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home