Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Pats Fought The Law And The Law Went To New York

Looks like Ty Law's family won't starve, but they might not eat as well.

Law signed a seven-year, incentive-laden contract with the New York Jets that "could" pay him up to $28 million over three years, and as much as $50 million over the full seven. That's IF he meets all the incentives, one of which reportedly depends on the Jets playing in the Super Bowl.

Law was at the Jets practice facility in Hempstead, NY, yesterday, and made a few comments to the media.

"I think this team is on the verge of doing something very special," Law said of the Jets, "and that's why I wanted to join them."

This can be translated into: "My agent Carl Poston screwed me and led me to believe that I could get a lot more money outside of New England. This was the best offer I got."

"It's a dream come true," Law said.

Translation: "This is a nightmare."

I'll admit, the Jets are probably going to be a better team with Law than they'd be without him; but let's look at a few facts.

First, Law's injury season-ending injury, which occurred during the Pats first meeting with the Jets last year, prevented Law from playing in the last 10 games of the regular season. New England was 8-2 in those games, with the winning streak-ending game loss to Pittsburgh the week following the Jets game (a game in which Corey Dillon and others didn't play, and a game which in hindsight looked like a "planned loss" to a team New England was sure to meet in the playoffs and decided not to "show anything") and the flukey wake-up call loss to Miami down the stretch.

Following the Steelers game, the Patriots beat the Rams, the Bills and the Chiefs -- all teams with high-flying offenses that New England's rag-tag band-aid defense shut down.

Then came playoff wins against the sure-bet, Peyton Manning-led Colts; the unbeatable, Ben Roethlisberger-led Steelers; and the team-of-destiny, Donovan McNabb-led Eagles. Three games, three allegedly unstoppable quarterbacks, three wins by Law-less Patriots.

Now, the Patriots offered Law a four-year deal with $26 million. Law called that a "slap in the face." One line of his defense what that he was told he wouldn't get a long-term deal at his age, yet Drew Bledsoe had gotten a 10-year deal at about the same age. Law obviously didn't remember how that turned out.

As far as I can tell, there are three major reasons anyone would play pro football: Love of the game, earn a good paycheck, win championships. It would appear that Law had all three in New England. So he turns down $26 million over four years with a team that has won three of the last four Super Bowls to take MAYBE $28 million over four years with a team that is, at best right now, a "playoff contender", and which has to make the Super Bowl for Law to earn his incentives.

"I had 10 great years and three championships there, so the proof is in the books," Law said.

Translation: "I had a little more than nine great years there, and my TEAM won three championships, including one that they carried me for 13 games. But my agent tells me that the team needs me more than I need the team."

Law has certainly been a great player over his 10 years. Before his injury, I told my brother he was a shoe-in Hall of Famer. Had he stayed with the Patriots, I'm sure his legacy would have been sealed.

Now he's taking a huge (and, I say, unnecessary) chance playing on a foot that may be good as new or that may betray him, and going to an unproven team where he may be counted on more than he would have been in Foxboro . A couple sub-stellar years could keep him out of Canton.

Mark down Monday Night, day after Christmas. If the Pats and Jets are both in contention, that game in the Meadowlands could be . It could be the game that makes or breaks Ty Law's legend, not to mention one last great "hurrah" for Monday Night Football. (Incidentally, New England beat the Jets on Dec. 26 last year in the Meadowlands, 23-7.)

I really liked Law. He was a big part of the Patriot Super Bowl seasons, and New Englanders will always be grateful for that. We wish him the best except for the two or three games he plays against the Pats every season.

Unfortunately, he appears to have forgotten the Patriot Mantra: No man is above the team.

It's a law I thought Ty had learned long ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home